SPOILER ALERT!

Can't go Wrong

Dissident (The Bellator Saga Book 1) - Cecilia London

Cecilia London did an exceptional job in portraying political intrigue, sex and wtf moments that you just can't put down. She portrays a strong female feminine protagonist that a reader can really connect with. I admit I did have my doubts of using Washington D.C. as the setting and expected all the usual cliches. I'm glad I was mistaken. The dialog was quick and snappy and didn't at all seemed forced or confusing. I don't normally like stories that pop back in forth between the past and the present but it was done very well here, with very limited use of long drawn out speeches or memories that are prone in trying to show the reader what or why something happened.

The story starts with our protagonist racing through the woods escaping from something and her husband leaving her to get the information out and save her daughters. How do you top that? Well you tell us how we got there and London does that very slowly giving away very little as to why this has happened. Then we flash back and forth between who our characters are and how they got to the woods running in the first place. I was impressed and the only reason I didn't give this 5 stars is because I don't believe in the perfect book or story which is what a 5 star rating would be, but Dissident is very good and I cannot wait for the next part of the story.

Now there is sex in this story but it is not just thrown in there for the sake of picking up a different genre of reader. It is used well and actually allows the reader a chance to see our characters grow. This is the first time I've read anything by Cecilia London but I will be watching out for more beyond this series.